🏍️ 🇳🇿 NZ Motorcycle Awards – Click to Learn More!

Burt Munro Challenge

29 October 2021 | All News

2022 Burt Munro Challenge Cancelled

The Burt Munro Challenge committee has made the tough decision to cancel the 2022 Burt Munro
Challenge, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and uncertainty around the new COVID-19 Protection
Framework.

This is the first time the Burt Munro Challenge has been cancelled since it began in 2006.

Committee Chairman Craig Hyde said the decision was made at a committee meeting this week
and key funders and sponsors had been notified.

“We’re absolutely gutted that it’s come to this but with a nationally significant event of this
magnitude, it’s the right thing to do.

“The Government’s new traffic light system policy is mandatory for events to follow but it creates
uncertainty, making it difficult to plan ahead. It doesn’t guarantee competitors and spectators will
be able to travel from out of region to the event. We also foresee changes will be required in some
of our management systems including ticketing, registration, security, and include alterations to
infrastructure.”

The committee did consider postponing the event or reducing the size to include only some of the
racing program, but in the end, cancelling was seen as the only option available.
“We know the Southland community will be disappointed the event has been cancelled. We
receive a lot of support to execute the Burt and in turn support a lot of business and community
groups.

Having the motorcycle community pilgrimage their way south from as far as Cape Reinga to soak
up the Burt experience, watch the races, socialise at the rally, catch up and tell a few yarns is all
part of the experience.”

Great South GM Tourism and Events Bobbi Brown said the cancellation was totally understandable
but would have a significant impact on the Southland economy.
“It’s a huge loss. We can only hope we get back to some kind of normality in the next year and the
event will return in full swing in 2023.”

When the Government provides clarity to the events sector, the Burt Munro Committee will begin
preparations for the 8 – 12 February 2023 event, Mr Hyde said.
For more information about the Burt Munro Challenge visit: https://southlandnz.com/event/burtmunro-
challenge
—–
For more information please contact:
Craig Hyde
Burt Munro Challenge Committee Chairman
Phone: 027 513 1470
Email: [email protected]

Search our site

Recent News

NZSBK Championship heats up at halfway stage

M1 BMW racer Rogan Chandler’s four race wins across rounds one and two of the Star Insure NZ Superbike Championship have him firmly cemented at the top of the Superbike standings, ahead of rounds three and four at Hampton Downs and Taupo Motorsport Park in March. But...

2026 FIM Oceania Women’s Motocross Championships

NEW ZEALAND SELECTS STRONG TEAM FOR FIM OCEANIA CLASH CAPTION: Otago’s Courtney Duncan (Kawasaki) adds incredible strength to New Zealand’s bid for 2026 FIM Oceania Women’s Motocross honours. Photo by Andy McGechan, BikesportNZ.com FEBRUARY 3, 2026: Motorcycling New...

NZSBK MEDIA RELEASE: Superbike series runs red hot in front of record crowd at Ruapuna

Superbike series runs red hot in front of record crowd at Ruapuna The Star Insure New Zealand Superbike Championship ran red hot in front of a record crowd at Euromarque Motorsport Park, Ruapuna, Christchurch last weekend. Stunning weather delivered a packed venue and...