🏍️ 🇳🇿 NZ Motorcycle Awards – Click to Learn More!

WOODVILLE MOTOCROSS GRAND PRIX CANCELLED AGAIN

31 January 2023 | All News, Motocross

2023 Honda New Zealand Motocross Grand Prix at Woodville

 CAPTION: Mother Nature was too powerful by far for the assembled masses of New Zealand’s motocross elite, with heavy rain forcing organisers to cancel the 2023 edition of the New Zealand Motocross Grand Prix at Woodville at the weekend. Photo by Andy McGechan, BikesportNZ.com

Perhaps will be third time lucky for the host Manawatu Orion Motorcycle Club next year after its jewel in the crown event, the annual New Zealand Motocross Grand Prix at Woodville, suffered its second consecutive cancellation at the weekend.

Club president Brad Ritchie said he was a “shattered man” as he made the difficult decision, after consultation with his committee, to cancel the iconic at about midday on Saturday.

Top-grade racing had again been scheduled to fill two days – minis, juniors and veterans on Saturday and seniors, women and the crowd-favourite river racing on Sunday – but no bikes were actually kicked into life again this year as torrential rain overnight on Friday caused extensive flooding at the farmland circuit.

The popular Honda-sponsored event had also been abandoned last season, only on that occasion it was the COVID-19 pandemic that did the damage.

Last year’s event would have enabled event founder Tim Gibbes, of Palmerston North, the former international racer now aged 89, to join with the club in marking the event’s 61st anniversary and that would have been the case again if it had gone ahead at the weekend.

“We are grateful that we could celebrate the event’s 60th anniversary in January 2021 … and now we’ve had two attempts to mark the 61st, but have now twice been foiled by circumstances beyond our control,” said Ritchie.

“I’m sure I’m speaking for the entire Kiwi motocross community in saying that it has been devastating. But we are also encouraged and humbled that, despite the sad announcement, we have been shown such great support and understanding from sponsors, fans, the riders and the land owners too.

“We scooted around the pits at about 3am on Saturday to awaken camping riders and advise them to evacuate the pit area. By daybreak the river was already lapping high on the banks. It continued to rise and then overflowed to flood large sections of the track.

“Literally thousands of man-hours are put into running events like this. It’s mostly behind-the-scenes and all done by unpaid volunteers, so it’s particularly gut-wrenching for them.

The next opportunity for the nation’s top racers to strut their skills will be at the opening event of the four-round New Zealand Motocross Championships, set to kick off in Balclutha in two weeks’ time, on February 12.

“We wish well to all those riders travelling to the South Island and fingers are crossed that racing there will be able to go off without a hitch,” Ritchie said.

Credit: Words and photo by Andy McGechan, www.BikesportNZ.com

Search our site

Recent News

NZSBK Championship heats up at halfway stage

M1 BMW racer Rogan Chandler’s four race wins across rounds one and two of the Star Insure NZ Superbike Championship have him firmly cemented at the top of the Superbike standings, ahead of rounds three and four at Hampton Downs and Taupo Motorsport Park in March. But...

2026 FIM Oceania Women’s Motocross Championships

NEW ZEALAND SELECTS STRONG TEAM FOR FIM OCEANIA CLASH CAPTION: Otago’s Courtney Duncan (Kawasaki) adds incredible strength to New Zealand’s bid for 2026 FIM Oceania Women’s Motocross honours. Photo by Andy McGechan, BikesportNZ.com FEBRUARY 3, 2026: Motorcycling New...

NZSBK MEDIA RELEASE: Superbike series runs red hot in front of record crowd at Ruapuna

Superbike series runs red hot in front of record crowd at Ruapuna The Star Insure New Zealand Superbike Championship ran red hot in front of a record crowd at Euromarque Motorsport Park, Ruapuna, Christchurch last weekend. Stunning weather delivered a packed venue and...